Full Name: Joanna Ibrahim
Study Away Site: NYU Abu Dhabi
Home Campus: NYU New York
Currently Studying: NYU New York campus
Class Year: Class of 2024
Major: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
What advice would you give to a student thinking of Studying Away?
- Networking opportunities: Study away programs provide opportunities to meet and network with individuals from different backgrounds and industries, which can be invaluable in building your professional network.
- Career-related experiences: Look for study away programs that offer internships, volunteer work, or other hands-on experiences in your field of study.
- Cultural competence: Studying away can help you develop a better understanding and appreciation of different cultures and ways of thinking, which can be a valuable asset in a global job market.
- Language skills: If you have the opportunity to study in a country where a language other than your own is spoken, take advantage of the opportunity to improve your language skills.
- Adaptability and independence: Studying away can help you develop independence, adaptability, and cross-cultural communication skills, which are highly sought after by employers.
- Resume-building: Studying away can provide a unique and impressive addition to your resume, showing employers that you have a well-rounded education and a willingness to take on new challenges.
In conclusion, studying away can provide a wealth of opportunities for career development, but it’s important to research and choose a program that aligns with your academic and career goals. Make the most of your time abroad by networking, gaining hands-on experience, and developing skills that will benefit you in your future career.
How has studying abroad impacted your global perspective of NYU Abu Dhabi and the world?
Studying abroad has greatly impacted my global perspective of NYU Abu Dhabi and the world in relation to career development. By experiencing different cultures and ways of thinking, I have gained a better understanding of diverse perspectives, which has made me a more well-rounded and culturally competent individual. This will be a valuable asset in a global job market where the ability to work effectively across cultures is increasingly important.
In addition, I have had the opportunity to network with individuals from different backgrounds and industries, which has expanded my professional network and opened up new opportunities for me. I have also gained hands-on experience in my field of study through internships and volunteer work, which has helped me to build my skills and develop my resume.
Overall, studying abroad has had a profound impact on my career development by providing me with unique experiences and opportunities that I would not have been able to access otherwise. I am grateful for this experience and believe that it will greatly benefit me as I pursue my future career goals.
Can you tell me about your favorite Global experience at NYU Abu Dhabi?
When studying abroad, I had the incredible opportunity to travel around the UAE for spring break. Our itinerary, planned by the Global Education team at NYU Abu Dhabi, took us to not only Abu Dhabi and Dubai, but also the lesser-known emirates of Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm Al Quwain. By the end of our four days, I had visited all seven emirates that make up the UAE and fully immersed myself in the unique cultures of each. Our trip was jam-packed with exciting activities, from visiting the Buhais Geological Park in Sharjah where I had the chance to examine fossils from 93 million years ago and explore the origin of the limestone mountain ranges, to the Al Dhaya Date Farm in Ras Al Khaimah where I learned about the genome of the popular fruit. We also visited the Port of Fujairah, located 70 nautical miles from the Strait of Hormuz, where we discussed the impact of fossil fuels and sustainability. We had the chance to experience the thriving industry of pearls at the Suwaidi Pearl Farm, explore the mind-expanding Museum of the Future, and visit the Dubai Future Labs, a robotics and automation research and development lab.